Beervana, as its name suggests, is nirvana for hop heads. The 11th edition of this popular celebration of craft beer is being held from the 17th to the 18th of August at Westpac Stadium, as part of the Visa Wellington on a Plate festival.
The event will showcase more than 200 top notch, distinctive brews. The beer will be complemented by a delicious food menu created by Beervana’s Culinary Director Martin Bosley, in conjunction with some of the capital’s best restaurants.
Beervana aims to cover the full spectrum of boutique beers in terms of geography and style.
There will be 10 Beervana festival bars including six bars representing the different regions of New Zealand, plus an Australia bar, a Real Ale bar and a bar serving a Festive Brew created specially for the event. Cider will also be on offer. Beer and cider is priced from $6 to $8, depending on alcohol volume.
Sure, you can taste to your heart’s content at Beervana, but there’s also plenty to get excited about if you’re seeking enlightenment in the ways of the amber liquid.
Check out the Beervana seminar series:
• Food: Yvonne Lorkin from Dish magazine will cover the basics of beer and food matching
• Cheese: how to make a great beer and cheese match
• Award winners: a discussion with the brewers of the winning beers at the BrewNZ Awards
• Women in beer: three leading female brewers talk about their careers in beer
• Sensory evaluation: understanding what you’re tasting
• Where to from beer: a panel discussion on the future of brewing in New Zealand
• Hops and malt: learn about the basic ingredients of all great beer
• Sudden death: an interactive blind tasting competition
Non-alcoholic beverages including water and soft drinks will also be available at bars throughout the venue cost $4 each
If you’re a craft beer fan, or simply a fan of great food and drink, you won’t want to miss Beervana!
When: Friday 17th of August, 12 noon to 4pm or 6pm to 10pm
Saturday 18th of August, 12 noon to 4pm or 6pm to 10pm
Where: Westpac Stadium
Tickets: are available now from Ticketek. General Admission tickets cost $40 and enable you to get into one of the four sessions over the weekend. The GA ticket price also includes a tasting glass, event programme and $8 worth of Beervana tokens.
Visit Beervana for further event details and further information on ticket options.
Editorial by Nicholas Chidley
5 June 2012